Tuesday 4 September 2012- Day 11

French toast, bacon and maple syrup was on the menu this morning for breakfast, cooked on the wood stove in our galley. 

Our 80-100 pounds of steam was up by 7.30am in readiness for our departure. First stop was the Euston pump out, however the hose was too short, so it was decided to give that job a miss until we got to Mildura. Then it was off to Lock 15, we had our booking for 8.30am. We arrived a little early however the chamber gates were already opened so we cruised straight in. We shared the lock chamber with the PB Iron Dry while the water was syphoned out, going down approx one meter. The exit gates were opend and we cruised on out, out of the last obstacle that stood between us and Mildura.

More red cliffs (we think even higher than yesterday) dwarfed the PS Adelaide which normally is the feature while cruising the Murray. The river has really opened up and is completely different to the scenery around Echuca-Moama.

Our crew is back down to seven today as Jarrod Beer and Harry Monro unfortunately departed the journey from Robinvale.

Lunch was a wide variety of toasted sandwiches cooked on the Webber. It was a great way to use up little bits and pieces that were left in the esky.

We made very good timing today so it was decided to continue on past Tarpaulin Cutting, cruising for another hour and a half, arriving at Lebruns Bend, a riverfront property owned by the Mansell’s. The Mansell’s are a well known riverboat family who own the PS Impulse, PS Mosquito and the PS Wanera/TP Barge, sister boat to the PS Pevensey.

Due to no phone service we were unable to get in touch with the Mansells to let me know of our pending arrival, so we blew a few long loud whistle blasts in hope that they would hear us upstream.

And that they did. On arrival Mansell family members and farm workers were gathered on the riverbank to watch our arrival.

It was pretty dark by time we finished for the night and everyone was pretty tired after a big day of cruising. So after a quick but yummy Carbanara Fettuccini everyone went off to bed, ready for the final, big stretch, of our journey.

Distance Travelled: 108kms

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s